Dry Needling Aka trigger point therapy is an effective technique that uses the insertion of acupuncture needles to release trigger points in your muscles. Trigger points are located in soft-tissue, primarily in bands of tightened muscle fibres. They often develop as a consequence of acute or repetitive strain, overtraining, musculoskeletal imbalance, injury or disease.
Dry Needling is different to traditional acupuncture as it is not necessarily aimed at specific acupuncture points, does not usually involve Meridians or relations to internal organs as does traditional acupuncture needling.
When inserting the needle with a specific technique into these tight areas, we can elicit a “twitch response” or a brief contraction followed by an immediate and long-lasting relaxation of the muscle fibres. This twitching serves to bring the muscle out of its contracted state, so it can loosen and regain normal tone. This allows better range of motion, and function and reduces or alleviates the associated pain.
What Does Dry Needling Do:
- The needle causes minor micro-trauma to the underlying tissue.
- The body recognizes this trauma and creates a histamine response.
- The histamine corresponds to increase blood flow which floods the tissue with rich oxygenated blood.
- The oxygen enters the cells of the muscles that have been restricted and allows them to be fed (Restricted tissue and “knots” have poor blood supply).
- The muscle responds to this new oxygen infusion with an involuntary twitch response. The muscle fibres have been released and will now move with ease and an immediate physical change occurs both to the touch and to the feel of the tissue. The patient often is aware of this and their physical pain diminishes and their control over the muscle increases.
If you notice any areas of your body that have lots of knots, or you are getting an ache or pain somewhere, then dry needling might be something that can help get rid of this. So if you feel as though you would like some dry needling to reset those tight muscles then come on down so we can assist you at Absolute Health Solutions in Balgowlah.
Call us on 9948 2826 or Book Online