If you’re not already aware, ABSOLUTE HEALTH SOLUTIONS has purchased a new Shockwave Therapy machine and so far to date has been getting amazing results with our patients. Shockwave therapy has been around for 25 years and works great for those difficult-to-treat, painful overuse or sports injuries. It was initially used for breaking up kidney stones, known as lithotripsy.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is the latest safe and noninvasive treatment for all tendinopathies, muscular, ligament and other soft tissue injuries. It involves the application of high-energy acoustic waves (sound waves) transmitted into the tissues of the affected area of the body. Put quite simply, it’s like a really deep tissue massage, but much more powerful and only goes for a few minutes.
How does it work?
Shockwave Therapy works by delivering high energy impulses, targeted to specific damaged tissues within the abnormal tendon. As a result, this micro trauma from repeated shockwaves to the affected area creates neo-vascularization (new blood vessel growth) into the area. This increase in blood flow is what promotes cell regeneration and healing, and decreases local inflammatory factors that can cause pain.
It is able to accomplish this even in chronic cases, where the body has previously showed an unwillingness to heal on its own. Shockwave Therapy is one of the very few modern technologies that assist with healing once an injury has reached this chronic (long-term) state.
It has the following physiologic processes in the body:
- Breaking down calcification deposits
- Stimulating fibroblast (soft tissue cells) production a healing ligaments, tendons, muscles etc.
- Stimulating osteoblast (bone cells) production a healing bone
- A release of substance P from the terminal vesicles of the nerves. This causes an immediate decrease in pain, and causes vasodilation (increase blood flow) that promotes tissue remodeling.
How soon will you see results?
At ABSOLUTE HEALTH SOLUTIONS we are finding that the majority (between 60-80%) of patients are experiencing a reduction in pain and an increase in their range of motion straight after their first session. However, depending on their condition, the injury can take weeks to months to totally heal.
What common conditions benefit from Shockwave Therapy?
It has been clinically shown to be a highly effective treatment option for a number of common musculoskeletal conditions. These include, but not limited too:
- Tennis and Golfers elbow
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Shoulder pain with or without calcification
- Painful Trigger Points
- Stress fractures
- Shockwave is safe, non-invasive and effective
- It can have an immediate pain reducing effect
- Patients can feel bruised after shockwave therapy
- It enhances repair and remodelling process within the body
- It’s an effective adjunct to our treatments
Please call your Chiropractor at AHS on 9948 2826 or visit our clinic at 9/470 Sydney Rd in Balgowlah servicing the surrounding suburbs of Allambie, Balgowlah Heights, Seaforth, Fairlight and Manly on the Northern Beaches.